The HR and Administration Officer will manage all HR functions and ICON administrative management. The ideal candidate will ensure all the organization’s administrative tasks are performed correctly and on time including recruitment, payroll, compensation and benefits, and training, office management, facilities management, and policy development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and update job descriptions to reflect program needs, funding requirements, and state and federal laws.
- Create and edit job postings for approved positions through miscellaneous job boards, posting internally and externally as needed.
- Curate HR content for internal and external communications, including job descriptions, commercials, testimonials, social media campaigns, newsletters, and the ICON website.
- Schedule and conduct interviews, including performing reference checks, as requested.
- Ensure all hiring contingencies are completed before submitting candidates for approval.
- Manage and maintain the new hire onboarding process, ensuring receipt of all new hire paperwork.
Performance & Development
- Evaluate and process new hires, terminations, status changes, reclassifications, salary adjustments, performance evaluations & improvement plans, and disciplinary warnings, reviewing for content and compliance with state, and federal guidelines.
- Support employees and managers by addressing questions and concerns.
- Advise managers on employee development, performance, and disciplinary issues, including recommending performance improvement plans as appropriate.
Employee Relations & Engagement
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all employee relations matters, assisting employees with general and specific HR questions, and providing excellent customer service to all.
- Escalate complex or sensitive employee relations matters to the office of the CEO.
- Conduct investigations into employee complaints or concerns, provide formal and informal counseling and coaching, and advise managers on the progressive discipline policy as needed.
- Document employee investigations, performance concerns, and disciplinary actions.
- Design and implement innovative employee engagement initiatives to promote community, peer recognition, and a sense of belonging for ICON employees.
- Plan and organize employee events, including holiday parties, appreciation events, and monthly/quarterly gatherings.
- Conduct employee engagement surveys, report findings to leadership, and recommend a plan of action to address areas of opportunity.
Legal & Compliance
- Ensure that ICON complies with all relevant federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including employee and organizational tax deductibles, etc.
- Serve as ICON’s primary contact for all employment law matters.
- Ensure legal compliance in all employment changes, including terminations and restructures.
- Update and maintain ICON supplemental handbook to reflect ICON’s policies and procedures.
- Update and maintain ICON employee HR files in both electronic and paper format, following all state, and federal guidelines.
- Protect confidential information according to federal, state, and guidelines, and use discernment on if/when to share sensitive information.
- Support and train employees on HR compliance topics.
- Enter and maintain employee data, including new hires, job reclassifications and transfers, salary changes, PTO/benefits changes, personal information updates, document uploads, and terminations.
- Administer and manage the time and attendance system.
- Assist employees with questions and concerns related to account lockouts and password resets; escalate complex questions to the relevant administrator.
Benefits & Leaves of Absence (LOAs)
- Distribute benefits enrollment forms to new hires, tracking completion and receipt of all required documents.
- Enter and maintain employee data in the system, including enrollments, terminations, address/job changes, beneficiaries, and related documentation.
- Answer employee questions and concerns about group benefit programs and refer them to appropriate partner contacts.
- Coordinate with the Finance department on payroll management to ensure all benefits enrollments, terminations, and changes are entered into the system promptly each pay period.
- Maintain and update the employee benefits files as needed.
- Provide advice, guidance, direction, and day-to-day support to employees on various benefits matters.
- Perform employee benefits audits as needed.
- Initiate the leave administration process promptly after being notified of an imminent leave.
- Work closely with employees to ensure all relevant medical documentation is completed and submitted to the appropriate parties for timely review.
- Protect all employee medical information, ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local privacy laws.
- Maintain appropriate contact with employees on leave and coordinate a return-to-work process.
- Review and approve timesheets, vacation, and leave requests as needed.
- Other HR needs as required.
- Coordinate office activities and operations to secure efficiency and compliance with ICON policies.
- Manage agendas/travel arrangements/appointments etc. for required departments.
- Manage phone calls and correspondence (e-mail, letters, packages, etc.)
- Support budgeting and bookkeeping procedures
- Create and update records and databases with personnel, financial and other data
- Track stocks of office supplies and place orders when necessary
- Submit timely reports and prepare presentations/proposals as assigned
- Assist colleagues whenever necessary
Education, Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a related field and demonstrated detailed knowledge of local labor, employment, and tax laws in Nigeria.
- Minimum of 3 years, preferably 5 years as an HR generalist, including recruitment, performance management, compensation, training and development, and HR Administration.
- Minimum 2 years of staff management experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Preferably at least 2 years of experience with an NGO experience.
- Knowledge and experience with payroll, benefits administration, Lagos State employee tax and deductions, compensation benchmarking, and utilizing HR metrics to inform decision-making.
- Strong training and development skills; experience conducting Training of the Trainer
- Experience and knowledge of recruitment process and practice, including marketing and branding
- Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace.
- Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage complex HR situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
- Top-tier written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross-cultural context.
- Ability to demonstrate a supportive and consultative approach with direct reports and staff at senior and junior levels
- Very strong proficiency in CRM, HR Digital tools, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint is required.
COMPENSATION AND HOURS
- Salary is a monthly N120,000-N150,000 commensurate with experience
- Irregular evening and weekend work hours; flexibility with work schedule
- Primarily local and inter-state travel during business hours, although some regional and overnight travel may occur.
- Benefits are generous, including paid employee health and dental insurance (some employee contribution required); voluntary vision and retirement plans are also available.
- Paid time off includes vacation, sick, personal days, and holidays.